Faxon Firearms has always been at the forefront of barrel development in the industry, so it’s no surprise that they are developing the barrels for the new 8.6 Blackout ammunition.
To date here is everything you need to know about the new 8.6 Blackout round, how it compares to 300 Blackout, and the radical new barrel design by Faxon Firearms.
What is 8.6 Blackout
The 8.6 BLK round was imagined and developed by Q.
When imagining 8.6 Blackout, a good starting point is to think of 8.6 BLK as the big brother to 300 Blackout. However, it’s much more than just an upgrade on 300 BLK.
Like the 300 Blackout, the 8.6 Blackout was designed primarily for suppressed shooting, however, they also have supersonic loads in development as well.
8.6 BLK is re-imagining “energy on target” by employing a fast 1:3 twist rate (compare to common 1:7 and 1:8 twists for calibers like 5.56 NATO or 300 BLK).
Other 8.6 BLK Features
- Fits AR-10 Sized Rifles
- 338 Subsonic Load Based around the 300 grain Sierra Match King
- Similar to 338 Federal, but the case has been shortened to reliably work with gas guns without modification to mags
- Uses Standard 308 Mags
- Low-Pressure Cartridge
- Utilizes a shortened 6.5 Creedmoor case for use of subsonic and high BC projectiles
- Current Ammo Companies in Development: Gorilla, Hornady, Black Hills, and Discreet Ballistics
- Designed Around a 12″ barrel
Faxon Firearms has previously shown several 8.6 Blackout loads with a 300-grain bullet and a 210-grain Barnes TTSX bullet. These loads are still in development but should become commercially available in the foreseeable future.
How is Faxon Firearms Involved
Faxon Firearms has been privileged to work with Q on developing the best possible barrels to support this revolutionary new round.
The team at Faxon Firearms is in the development of their own 8.6 BLK barrels for both the AR-10 and Remington model 700 platforms.
Faxon Barrels for the 8.6 Blackout
Faxon Firearms will be offering 1:3 twist barrels chambered in 8.6 Blackout for Remington 700 platforms and AR-10 pattern rifles. The barrels for both platforms will be available in 8″, 12″, and 16″ length options.
Remington 700 Platform
- 8″ Light Palma, Remage style with 1:3 twist
- 12″ Light Palma, Remage style with 1:3 twist
- 16″ Light Palma, Remage style with 1:3 twist
- 8″ Big Gunner with 1:3 twist
- 12″ Big Gunner with 1:3 twist
- 16″ Big Gunner with 1:3 twist
Faxon Firearms 8.6 BLK barrel Details
- 1:3 twist rate
- Better stabilization on long and heavy subsonic rounds
- Better expansion of the projectiles
- Re-allocates the energy from the sound and flash to the rotation of the bullet
- .875 gas block journal for AR10
- DPMS Gen 1 Pattern
- Remage style barrels from Faxon will use a Remage style nut with a standard AR-15 armorers castle nut wrench. The nut is included.
Why is the 1:3 Twist Rate Important
Faxon Firearms is manufacturing the barrels for these 8.6 Blackout loads. These barrels are not by any means your standard rifle barrel. Designing and manufacturing them can be a challenge, but Faxon Firearms has confidently stepped up to the plate. In order to properly stabilize the long and heavy 300-grain subsonic projectiles, the 8.6 blackout barrels have a 1:3 twist rate!
That means the round is making one full rotation every three inches of barrel length. The bore of these new barrels look more like internal threads for a bolt or screw than rifling. This revolutionary 1:3 twist greatly enhances the energy on target of the large 8.6 blackout round.
Conventionally, energy on target has been largely concerned with linear forces.
The following video highlights the devastating difference of the energy on target with a 1:3 twist rate vs a more standard 1:7 twist.
- Top – 1:3 twist @2380fps MV with 140gr projectile
- Bottom – 1:7 twist @2380fps MV with 140gr projectile
The fast 1:3 twist rate of the 8.6 BLK is reimagining the energy on target as having a second energy delivering component; the rotational energy of a fast spinning projectile.
Faxon Sets May 27th, 2022 as the 8.6 Blackout Barrel Launch Date!
Faxon Firearms, a Cincinnati, Ohio-based manufacturer of quality rifle and pistol components, and complete firearms, has announced the launch date for their new 8.6 Blackout Barrels.
Since the unveiling of their 1:3 twist 8.6 BLK barrels at SHOT Show 2022, a burning question for those interested in the new round developed by Q has been, “When will barrels be available?” Late last week, Faxon Firearms posted their 5.27.22 launch date on their 8.6 BLK landing page (https://faxonfirearms.com/86blk/).
Faxon Firearms will be releasing the following barrels on Friday May 22nd.
- Faxon 8″ Big Gunner, 8.6 BLK, Pistol Length, 4150, Nitride
- Faxon 12″ Big Gunner, 8.6 BLK, Pistol Length, 4150, Nitride
- Faxon 16″ Big Gunner, 8.6 BLK, Carbine Length, 4150, Nitride
For Remage-Style Bolt Guns:
- Faxon 8″ Modified Light Palma Profile, 8.6 BLK, 416-R, Nitride
- Faxon 12″ Modified Light Palma Profile, 8.6 BLK, 416-R, Nitride
- Faxon 16″ Modified Light Palma Profile, 8.6 BLK, 416-R, Nitride
In addition to the 8.6 BLK barrels, Faxon will be launching 3 new AR-10 M-Lok Handguards, and AR-10 height gas blocks. More products for 8.6 BLK will continue to become available throughout the summer.
Faxon has also teased their complete firearms for 8.6 BLK, slated to be released during quarter 3 of this year.
For more information, visit: FaxonFirearms.com/86BLK
Check out our DAILY DEALS page for industry deals and discounts.
Visit our Amazon Influencer Page for more products we recommend: https://www.amazon.com/shop/refactortactical