Before you get all butthurt about what movies we’ve put on this list, keep in mind everyone’s preference is different. So don’t be a little b****. Instead, just go re-watch all these awesome films—unless you’re a communist and haven’t seen any/all of these movies—we advise you to start with our number 1 pick! Also, for all you judgemental pricks, know picking a top 5 was the hardest thing we’ve done all week, yet somehow we managed to pull off the unimaginable, all for you—there were just so many good ones to pick from—you’re welcome.
Disclaimer: we can’t promise a lack of spoilers, so maybe just read the bold part if you’re the communist we spoke of in the paragraph above. Now get ready to put on your war face, or at least watch others do it, in some remarkable movies starring one of your favorites, the Navy Seals.
1. Lone Survivor Lone Survivor, starring Mark Wahlberg depicts a true story about a Navy Seal Team ambushed while in Afghanistan. The movie captures the relationships between man and war as the unsuccessful mission—Operation Red Wings—unfolds. If you haven’t seen this movie, we highly recommend it—I mean, why else would we make it our number one pick.
2. American Sniper Unfortunately, this film is based on a true story. It’s about Chris Kyle, a man called to war, and like so many of us serving or who’ve served, struggled to leave the war behind. Bradley Cooper does a remarkable job portraying the effects of war on both the mind and family. Trust us, if you want to feel something, this is a must-watch movie.
3. Act of Valor It’s rare that a military movie or show is played by the experts of that field. Act of Valor recreates a movie based on real missions with real Active Duty Navy Seals. Of course, these types of movies can’t be made exactly like the real thing, that’d probably breach some type of private/secret squirrel s**t type of contract. But, the people, the weapons, and the tactics are all the real deal.
Not only can you read Act of Valor, but you can also listen to it. So whether your preferred method is reading, listening or watching, there’s no excuse. Pick your favorite format and get to it!
4. Zero Dark Thirty After 9/11, the greatest manhunt in history began, the search for Osama bin Laden. In Zero Dark Thirty, we follow the search as a team of Navy Seals tracks down their target in an attempt to capture or kill that bastard. Fortunately, we can’t spoil too much for you here—unless you’re literally living under a rock, in which case we doubt you’re reading this—the mission was a success.
If you’ve already seen this movie, you might be interested to dig a little deeper. We recommend picking up this book.
5. Tears of the Sun If you’ve ever spent any time in the military, we know there have been too many times you wanted to go against orders. And about 99.9% of the time, doing so would land you in a serious pile of steaming dog s**t. Tears of the Sun shows what testing that whole failure to shut up and color thing you hear on a daily basis looks like. Starring Bruce Willis, a Navy Seal team goes against orders and works to evacuate a group of refugees.
Now if you don’t agree with our top 5 picks, go shoot yourself in the dick. Because frankly, we don’t care what you think. Okay, maybe we care a little, just not enough to change our minds—so, as you were troops. However, feel free to drop us a comment and let us know what other Navy Seal movies you enjoy. We won’t add them to the list or anything, but maybe those who haven’t seen any of these can add them to their “Watch ASAP” list.