Table of Contents
- RK Guns
- .357 Magnum
- Ruger Blackhawk
- Ruger LCR .357 Mag Revolver
- S&W Model 686 .357 Magnum Revolver
Rural King Guns is a fairly new service that offers incredibly low prices for top of the line brands, such as Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Kimber, Colt, Glock, and many more. Today’s blog will focus on the heavy-handed .357 Magnum chambered revolvers. I decided that instead of giving each revolver a rating, I want to keep this as an educational blog about the top revolvers sold at Rural King. Every revolver I discuss below can be bought at many stores, including our favorite for Veterans, Palmetto State Armory.
Many people don’t know what a .357 Magnum is, except that it’s powerful, used mostly in revolvers, and big for a pistol round. The .357 Magnum was created because American law enforcement saw a need to have a higher pressure rounds capable of defeating cars and bulletproof vests. Smith & Wesson was able to develop a larger round that could be fired at a higher velocity than the traditional .38 Special and .38 Super to meet the need in defense from the Gangster era of the 1920s.
|Bullet diameter||.357 in (9.1 mm)|
|Neck diameter||.379 in (9.6 mm)|
|Base diameter||.379 in (9.6 mm)|
|Rim diameter||.440 in (11.2 mm)|
|Rim thickness||.060 in (1.5 mm)|
|Case length||1.29 in (33 mm)|
|Overall length||1.59 in (40 mm)|
|Case capacity||26.2 gr|
|Primer type||Small Pistol Magnum|
|Maximum pressure||35,000 psi|
Sig Sauer 357 SIG 125GR V-Crown JHP Ammunition
Sig Sauer’s reputation speaks for itself with their unapproachable quality in firearms and ammunition, and the V-Crown JHP is no different. The V-Crown 125GR bullet is specifically designed to penetrate through steel armor or cars with consistent and maximum expansion for every shot. This Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP) ammo is as good a self-defense round as you’ll ever need. Don’t let the price sway you from purchasing a round that will punch a hole in any organic target you need to fire at. If you think you’ll be shooting at someone with body armor, I don’t recommend a hollow point because of the limited weight versus a full metal jacket (FMJ).
SBR .357 SOCOM 250 gr Barnes TTSX
As an alternative to a hollow point round, the SBR .357 Magnum SOCOM round is much heavier and has 2,000 ft. lbs more muzzle velocity than a 125 gr bullet. This advanced velocity will undoubtedly punch a hole through light body armor and any vehicle made today. I highly recommend giving these guys a chance, not only because they’re a Veteran owned and operated business, but they take the same attention to detail in making their ammo as they did in the military. I would recommend this ammo for law enforcement or security that is worried about vehicles or body armor.
This Ruger Blackhawk is one of the most versatile revolvers on the market, due to the interchangeable cylinders between a .357 Magnum and a 9mm. A .357 will give you the power you need to defend yourself against a variety of threats, whether it’s an individual with armor or a vehicle. The interchangeable 9mm cylinder is going to give you a great way to practice with your gun at a much more affordable price. The Blackhawk is built with a single action, which means the trigger pull will be smoother and crisper. This revolver is as classic as you could ever ask for with its beautiful stainless steel design and wood grips.
|Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum|
|Caliber||.357 Magnum, 9mm|
|Twist Rate||1:16″ RH|
|Weight||2.5 lbs (40oz)|
- Incredible versatility
- Excellent price point
- 1:16″ twist rate allows for heavier, more damaging rounds
- Crisp trigger pull creates more accurate shots
- 2.5 lbs is a heavy revolver if you use it for a 9mm
- Very difficult to conceal carry
- At almost a foot long this is too much for a handgun that I’d like to carry
- Traditional western-style, hand-filling grip has long been acknowledged as one of the most comfortable and natural pointing of any grip style.
- Target-grade accuracy with ramp front and adjustable rear sights.
- Patented transfer bar mechanism and loading gate interlock provide an unparalleled measure of security against accidental discharge.
- Variety of caliber, barrel length, grips, finish, and weight guarantees a model to meet the needs of today’s single-action shooters.
- Cold hammer-forged barrel results in ultra-precise rifling that provides exceptional accuracy, longevity, and easy cleaning.
- Include two cylinders that can be interchanged without the use of tools.
Where Can I Buy The Ruger Blackhawk?
Rural King Guns gives you the option of buying directly from their stores, or you could buy online from their website. If you buy online, I recommend shipping to one of their stores to avoid the FFL transfer fee, which could be easily $100. Many people do not have Rural King around them, but if you are still eager to buy a Ruger, our favorite place will be Palmetto State Armory until another company offers better Veteran and LE deals.
Ruger LCR .357 Mag Revolver
The Ruger LCR revolver is the antithesis of the Blackhawk because it’s almost 50% smaller than the Blackhawk and is engineered to reduce the recoil of the gun. As we all know, a shorter barrel and frame with a heavier round with more velocity and power, is going to create more felt recoil. The LCR is built with a revolutionary cam that reduces the friction of the action of the revolver.
The Ruger LCR revolver chambered in .357 Magnum is a lightweight, concealable pistol designed specifically to reduce recoil and weight while delivering accuracy and smooth handling. The LCR features patented designs engineered for recoil reduction, including the friction reducing cam for smooth trigger pull, polymer fire control housing & components that are properly dimensional to the firearms reduced size, and an excessively fluted barrel. The Hague Tamer grip also works to reduce relt recoil, and allows for a variety of additional grip styles to be installed.
|Ruger LCR .357 Magnum|
|Twist Rate||1:16″ RH|
|Weight||1.06 lbs (17oz)|
|Grips||GripHogue® Tamer™ Monogrip®|
- Great for concealed carry weapon (CCW)
- Very light for a .357 Magnum revolver
- Verstile with interchangable grips and sights
- Great price for a new Ruger
- Double Action Revolvers can cause accuracy issues (even though the cam reduces the recoil a lot)
- 5 rounds is enough for me because the gun is so powerful, but I understand how some may feel like they would want a few more rounds.
- Monolithic frame is made from 400-series stainless steel.
- Patented friction-reducing cam is a next generation design in fire control systems that results in a smooth, non-stacking trigger pull.
- Patented polymer fire control housing holds all the fire control components in their proper dimensional relationships, reduces weight significantly, and helps reduce recoil.
- High-strength stainless steel cylinder, featuring a PVD finish for excellent durability, is extensively fluted, reducing weight.
- Hogue® Tamer™ Monogrip® reduces preceived recoil.
- Grip peg allows for a variety of grip styles to be installed.
- Replaceable, pinned ramp front sight with white bar.
Why Should I Buy The Ruger LCR .357 Magnum?
This is great for a concealed Carry pistol for anyone wnating to carry in public spaces due to its small size and incredible power. This revolver can easily fit into a backpack, purse, shoulder holster, ankle holster, and on your hip without being visible to anyone on the outside. Just remember, as powerful as this gun is, you’ll still need to be close to your target if you expect to hit your target.
S&W Model 686 .357 Magnum Revolver
Anytime I think of a .357 Magnum revolver, I think of a classic Smith & Wesson stainless steel Model 686. Any Rural King you go to should have this gun in their vault for you to handle and see if you like it or not. Personally, this is too much gun for me, but it’s one of the guns to shoot before you pass on. You can get this revolver in either 6 or 7 shot cylinders, and you can load either the .357 Magnum or the .38 S&W Special +P ammo for a lighter recoil. At 10″ long, there is no hiding this revolver, which should be obvious that you don’t use this as a CCW. This revolver is big enough and has enough power to use as a law enforcement revolver, hunting revolver, or as a home defense weapon.
|Smith & Wesson Model 686 .357 Magnum|
|Weight||2.48 lbs (39.7oz)|
|MSRP||$833.00, ($739.99 at RK Guns)|
- Fires in either single or double action (cock the hammer back for single action)
- Versitle enough to use for hunting, law enforcement or home defense
- With a longer barrel and firing in single action will give you great accuracy at ranges well beyond 30 yards
- Crisp trigger pull eliminates a lot of the anticipation of shooting
- RK Guns offers a really good price for a new S&W
- You will not be able to use as a CCW
- Trigger pull is very heavy in double action
- I don’t like the sythentic grip it comes with because it feels like it’s not as sturdy as the wood
- Expensive to practice with due to how expensive .357 Magnum ammo is
- Stainless Steel Barrel
- Satin Steel finish on frame
- Adjustable rear sight with white dot for target identification
- Single/Double Action allows for precision shot adjustments depending on range
Why Should I Buy The Model 686 Revolver?
I would buy this revolver if I wanted a handgun to hunt with or protect myself while hunting from predators, such as bears, wolves, and mountain lions. This is also a great collectors gun for the dedicated enthusiast that wants one of the 3 most powerful handguns ever made.
RK Guns is one of the newest gun sellers in our country and are beginning to provide one of the biggest selections of handguns and rifles. All of the .357 Magnum revolvers above are sold at RK Guns and we’ve provided all the links you’ll need to buy from them. Our links below each gun is for Palmetto State Armory as a way to give you more options if you don’t have a Rural King near you, or if you want to take advantage of the discounts offered by them. Rural King has been a one-stop-shop for farmers and gardeners for decades and now with the addition of RK Guns, all of your self defense and hunting needs are in one location, as well.