So we were sitting around the office seeing how well we can do on the Civics Exam that is required to become a U.S. Citizen. All in all, we didn’t do too bad. There are 100 questions in all but we figured we would put up 20 so you guys could see how you did. The answers are shown at the bottom of the page.
1. What ocean is on the West Coast of the United States?
2. Name one state that borders Mexico.
3. Who is the commander and chief of the military?
4. What are two ways that Americans can participate in democracy?
5. Who makes federal laws?
6. If both the President and Vice-President can no longer serve, who becomes president?
7. Who is in charge of the Executive Branch?
8. Who are the two main political parties of the United States?
9. What does the Judicial Branch do?
10. Who was the first president?
11. Name one of the writers of the Constitution.
12. What is one thing Benjamin Franklin is famous for?
13. Name the war between the North and South.
14. What is the economic system of the United States?
15. What do we call the first 10 amendments of the constitution?
16. Name one war fought by the United States in the 1800s.
17. Name one branch of the government.
18. What are two rights in the Declaration of Independence?
19. What does the Constitution do?
20. Who wrote the declaration of Independence?
1. Pacific Ocean
2. Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, California
4. Voting, join a political party, help with a campaign, join a civic group, join a community group, give an elected official your opinion on an issue, call senators and representatives, publicly oppose or support an issue or policy, run for office, write to a newspaper.
5. Congress, Senate and House, U.S or National Legislature
6. Speaker of the House
8. Republican and Democrat
9. Reviews laws, explains laws, resolves disputes, decides if a law goes against the constitution
10. George Washington
11. James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, Publius
12. U.S. Diplomat, Oldest Member of the Constitutional Convention, first Postmaster General of the United States, Write of Poor Richard’s Almanac, started the first free libraries.
13. The civil war.
14. What is the economic system of the United States? Capitalist economy, market economy.
15. The Bill of Rights
16. War of 1812, Mexican American War, Spanish American War, Civil War
17. Judicial, the Courts, Executive, President, Legislative, Congress
18. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
19. Sets up the government, defines the government, protects basic rights of Americans.
20. Thomas Jefferson